- Clean Growth – focus on supporting initiatives which help embed clean growth principles into business activities e.g. environmental science, marine innovation, zero carbon targets and climate aware initiatives.
- Digital Innovation – Smart tech developments and adoption in all sectors, a key target for all locations with Exeter leading growth in this area.
- Advanced / Specialised manufacturing – continued focus on promoting growth of specialised and advance manufacturing. As this sector expands so does the upskilling of the workforce.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Clusters – expanding on University sponsored research and innovation, incubating new businesses to apply this innovation.
- Green recovery – Sustainable and Eco-friendly business – Creating focus and supporting initiatives to increase levels of awareness and encourage these business values.
- Super-fast broadband -distribution to all areas. Major advancements in most locations, now focussing more on remote locations.
At over £25Billion, Devon’s economy is bigger than Britain’s second largest city, Manchester. Devon’s economy has a growth rate that exceeds the national average and is forecast to grow 15% by 2030.
The HotSW 2021 Build Back Better Plan sets out our priorities, taking forward components of the 2020 Local Industrial Strategy and incorporating the strategic regional response to the business impact of COVID-19.
Here is a quick snapshot of the key Devon demographics relevant to business activity.