An economy which has grown every year for the last five years with a growth rate that exceeds the national average. See ‘Growth Areas’ section for anticipated areas of growth over the next ten years.
- Significant companies in many sectors including digital technology, advanced engineering and manufacturing (incl. Aerospace), marine engineering and technology, professional services, creative industries and food & drink. See ‘Invest in Devon’ for more on sectors.
- The majority of Devon’s businesses are small to medium enterprises.
- A strong and dynamic micro business community.
- A booming tech sector – Exeter pinpointed in 2021 as the UK Tech Hub with the most growth potential by Tech Nation.
- Financial Technology (Fintech) investment in Exeter is now on a par with Dublin, Helsinki, Milan and Tokyo.
- There are approximately 58,000 businesses in Devon, with over 7,000 new businesses formed in 2020.
What are employers saying about Devon?
- A thriving area filled with opportunity.
- An incredible supportive business community to work with.
- Easy access to the rest of the country including a great regional airport.
- A place to be proud to have as a brand association.
- The beautiful, natural environment.
- A friendly and easy-going place to live.
The HotSW 2021 Build Back Better Plan sets out our priorities, taking forward components of the 2020 Local Industrial Strategy and incorporating the strategic regional response to the business impact of COVID-19.
As well as embracing the objectives for the 2021 Build Back Better Plan which sets out the targets for the next ten years, here are some local priorities that we are focussing on.
Here is a quick snapshot of the key Devon demographics relevant to business activity.