- A population of over 1.2m residents, providing a labour force and a large market for products and services.
- A skilled population with significant concentrations of its workforce having above the national average of people qualified to degree or above.
- Well above average levels of people with trade apprenticeships.
- A high proportion of the area’s primary and secondary schools are rated ‘outstanding’ or ‘good’ by OFSTED.
- Skills Profile: significant rise in demand expected in the coming years for skills in science, research, engineering and technology, with a significant boost forecast in the health, professional services, arts, entertainment and digital/ICT sectors.
- Well above average levels of self-employment, with an entrepreneurial and supportive local business culture.
At over £25Billion, Devon’s economy is bigger than Britain’s second largest city, Manchester. Devon’s economy has a growth rate that exceeds the national average and is forecast to grow 15% by 2030.
The HotSW 2021 Build Back Better Plan sets out our priorities, taking forward components of the 2020 Local Industrial Strategy and incorporating the strategic regional response to the business impact of COVID-19.
As well as embracing the objectives for the 2021 Build Back Better Plan which sets out the targets for the next ten years, here are some local priorities that we are focussing on.