Building on key centres of excellence across the region, this sector is innovative with great growth potential.
Across Devon and the wider South West there are nearly 3,000 marine and maritime companies, including:
- Babcock International – Defence systems engineers, manufacturers and suppliers with global reach, covering marine, land and aviation
- Diving Diseases Research Centre Hyperbaric Medical Centre offering Treatment, Training & Research. (ddrc.org)
- SEA (Cohort PLC company) – provides engineering and software design services
- Harland & Wolff – offshore and maritime engineering services
- Marine Biological Association – promoting and supporting scientific research into all aspects of life in the sea
- MSubs – Engineering and design services for submergence
- Plymouth Marine Laboratory – a charity aiming to develop and apply innovative marine science for a sustainable future for the ocean
- Princess Yachts International – global superyacht manufacturer
- Ribeye Boats – RIB leisure craft and superyacht tender manufacturer
- SC Group – innovative engineering and design services
- Seiche – Marine acoustic solutions
- Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science (CPRS Survey)
- Teignbridge Propellers – high-specification propellers for marine craft
- Valeport Ltd – innovative developer and manufacturer of underwater instrumentation
- Oceansgate (Plymouth) is the first Government Marine Enterprise Zone in the country. Oceansgate brings together marine-based businesses creating a world-class hub for marine industries, with opportunities for research, innovation and production in a collaborative environment. Occupying a 35-hectare site on the southern edge of Devon port dock it is one of the largest naval dockyards in Europe.
- Plymouth and South Devon Freeport offering incentives and tax breaks to marine sector and distribution businesses.
- Marine Business Technology Sector – a gateway for accessing comprehensive research and development support and cutting-edge facilities and expertise.
- Smart Sound Plymouth – innovative marine technology development.
- Maritime UK South West – creating a clean and prosperous maritime future (maritimeuksw.org) is increasing the marine and maritime economy by increasing collaboration, innovation trade and investment in this sector.
- The Universities of Plymouth and Exeter lead technology and innovation around the marine maritime industries including renewables, science, design and manufacturing, robotics and autonomous systems.